ALCOHOL POISONING & TREATMENT
Definition: What is "Alcohol Poisoning"?
Alcohol Poisoning is a serious - sometimes deadly - result of consuming dangerous amounts of alcohol. Excessive alcohol intake can create a direct & devastating impact on the central nervous system. Alcohol can lead to serious conditions including slowing your breathing, heart rate & gag reflex. These occurences can result to severe implications like choking, coma & even death. Alcohol poisoning is life-threatening condition that is usually brought about as a result of drinking excessive amounts of alcoholic beverages within a short period of time.
Symptoms & Signs
Confusion, stupor, vomiting, seizures, slow or irregular breathing, blue-tinged skin or pale skin, low body temperature (hypothermia), unconsciousness ("passing out"), slow breathing (fewer than eight breaths per minute)
Treatment: How to Treat "Alcohol Poisoning"?
Alcohol poisoning treatment usually involves supportive care while your body rids itself of the alcohol. It consists: Careful monitoring, Airway protection to prevent breathing or choking problems, Administration of fluids through a vein (intravenously) to prevent dehydration.
Alcohol poisoning may result from accidental - and, in some cases, intentional - ingestion, particularly among children: Ethanol, Isopropyl alcohol, Methanol
In accumulation to checking for noticeable signs & symptoms of alcohol poisoning, your doctor will likely order blood tests to check blood alcohol levels & distinguish flag signs of alcohol toxicity including relatively low sugar level in the blood. A urine test is an effective clinical laboratory procedure to confirm diagnosis for alcohol poisoning.